Pages

October 12, 2016

The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh *REVIEW*


"In my life, the one thing I have learned above all is that no individual can reach the height of their potential without the love of others. We are not meant to be alone, Shahrzad. The more a person pushes others away, the clearer it becomes he is in need of love the most."                                                                   
To be honest it took me a little while to really get into this story because I prefer a first person narrator but boy did it get me.....
I am a fan of retellings (and fairytales) so I picked this book up. Plus I loved the synopsis and the cover :D


To the story: (SPOILERS BELOW)


I loved the characters in this book because they were not perfect, they had flaws, they did not have it all figured out. Still they were strong characters, especially Shahrzad.
Also, I really enjoy the setting in the Arabic world because I could learn about another culture, as well as the involvement of storytelling though I think it fell a little short in the book.
I also liked:
- the secondary characters (Despina, Jalal, Musa)
- the (rather little) involvement of magic, though I suppose it will play a bigger role in the second book with Shahrzad discovering her powers and them trying to break the curse (which I am looking forward to :)

The best part about this novel for me is the love story between Shahrzad  and Khalid since I’m a sucker for romance. Ahdieh balanced romance and action out quite well in the plot, it pulled me in and I wanted to and still want to know more. Furthermore, the circumstances under which the love between the two main characters evolved was very unique considering that Shahrzad married Khalid in order to end his life and he nearly ends her life. All this makes their love all the stronger and more beautiful and contributes to the awesomeness of the story in general.

I was tempted to give this book a 5 out of 5 stars rating but that is reserved for my all-time favorite books so I did not. That doesn’t mean that it cannot eventually evolve into one of my favs though so let’s see how the story goes on ;)

Loooved this book!

Rating: 4,5/5 ★

Have you read this book? Did you like/dislike it? Hit the comments, I would love to hear your thoughts on it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment